Elinor Aishah Holland
- BA in Comparative Religion, Cum Laude, Temple University, 1990
- Study of Colloquial Arabic, CASA Summer Program, American University in Cairo, Egypt, 1982
- Ijaza or certification to teach Thuluth and Naskh scripts, IRCICA, Istanbul 2013.
- Ongoing instruction in Arabic script from Master Calligrapher Mohamed Zakariya, Washington, DC
- Yearly Arabic classes from Masters Hassan Celebi, Efdaluddin Kilic, Istanbul, Turkey
- Society of Scribes continuing education
- Rockland Center for the Arts, West Nyack, NY. Classes in Copperplate, Italic, paste paper and color, and children’s classes, 1994-1998
- Blue Rock School, West Nyack, NY. Classes in calligraphy for grades 4-7, 1993-1997
- Smithsonian Institute: ImaginAsia program. Classes and workshops in Arabic for children (of all ages). Winter1995
- Sackler Gallery of the Smithsonian Institution. Docent trainings. Spring 1995.
- Haverstraw Library, Haverstraw, NY. Classes for children and adults. 1997-99
- Valley Cottage Library, Valley Cottage, NY. Classes for children and adults, 1996-99
- National Museum of African Art, Washington DC. Dancing Pens Workshop for Children. Calligraphy in Art Workshop for Teachers. Fall 2001
- NY Society of Scribes: classes in Copperplate (spring and fall) 2000 – present
- Green Meadow Waldorf School, Chestnut Ridge, NY. Classes in many Roman script hands (Uncial, Gothic, Italic, Copperplate) for grades 7-11. 1997- 2002
- Newark Museum, Newark, NJ. Classes in Italic, Uncial and Copperplate. 2001–present
- American Museum of Natural History, NY, NY. Workshops on Arabic Calligraphy for children. 2004
- Museum of the City of NY. Workshops in Arabic script for children, 2002
- Rockland BOCES. Adult Continuing Education classes in Italic. 1999–present
- Arabic Calligraphy Workshop, Confluence Conference. St. Louis, MI. Summer 2003
- 92nd Street Y, NYC. Copperplate and other calligraphy classes. Fall 2004 to 2007.
- Long Island University, Brooklyn, NY. Introduction to Calligraphy. Summer semester, May-June 2005
- New York Public Library, NY, NY. Workshops for young adults. 2005 to present
- Center for Book Arts, New York, NY. Islamic calligraphy workshop, March 2007.
- Asia Society, New York, NY. Workshop for Family Day, November 2008, April 2009.
- Zaytuna College, Summer Arabic Intensive, Berkeley, CA. Calligraphy lecture/workshop, Summer 2009, 2010.
- Rudolf Steiner School, New York, NY. Calligraphic selections for 11th graders, 2011.
- New York Botanical Garden, Bronx, NY. “Hand Lettering for Artistst”, Feb. 2010, 2011.
- Morgan Library, New York, NY. “Qalam for Kids”, youth workshop, “An Art of Measure and Harmony” adult workshop, fall 2011.
- “Harmony of Line”, private classes in New York, NY, June 2011 – present.
- Park 51 Cultural Center, beginning Arabic script classes, spring 2012.
- Long Island University, Brooklyn NY. Lecture and workshop for Interdisclipine course on Ottoman Culture and Art.
- BAM sponsored workshop at Khalil Gibran Public School, New York City, June 2013.
- Summer Arabic Calligraphy Workshops, Freer Gallery of Art, Smithsonian Institution
- July 6, 7, 27and 28, 2013
- Classical Kufic workshop, Center for Book Arts, NYC, August, 2013
An Introduction to the Art of the Pen. Pratt Institute, Brooklyn, NY. 1993
The Art of Arabic Calligraphy. Columbia University, NY, NY. Islamic History class of George Saliba. 1994
The Art of Arabic Calligraphy. St. Mary’s College, MD, 1998
Beauty of Sacred Texts Conference. Seton Hall University, South Orange, NJ. November 2003
Islamic Calligraphy: A Hidden Treasure. James Madison University, Harrisonburg, VA, Islam Awareness Week. March 22, 2004
Islamic Calligraphy. Rihla Deen Intensive, Abiquiu, NM. Summer 2002
“Art in the Service of the Divine”, York University, Toronto, Ontario, Fall 2002
Islamic Calligraphy. Bergen Community College, Paramus, NJ. November 2003
Spirit of the Pen. Society of Scribes, NY, NY. 2003
Arabic Script Calligraphy. Confluence Conference. St. Louis, Missouri. 2004
Islamic Calligraphy: A Hidden Treasure. University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN. 2004
Islamic Calligraphy: A Hidden Treasure. Mary Washington College, Maryland. March 2004, March 2008
A Talk on Islamic Calligraphy. Islamic Heritage Society, New York, NY, December 15, 2004
Islamic Calligraphy: A Hidden Treasure. Islamic Cultural Center of NY, Stamford CT. February 2005
Islamic Calligraphy: A Hidden Treasure. Indiana University, Bloomington, IN. April 2005
Sarah Lawrence College, Bronxeville, NY April 2006
Detroit Institute of Art, Detroit, MI, May 2006
China Institute, New York City, August 2005, 2006
Sultan Qaboos Cultural Center, Washington, DC, October 2006, July 2009
George Washington University MSA, Washington, DC. January 2007, March 2008
La Salle University, Diplomat in Residence Program, Philadelphia, PA. February 2007
Islamic Calligraphy: Lifting the Veil, Lafayette College, Easton, PA. March 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010.
Georgetown University, Center for Contemporary Arab Studies, Teachers Education Program, Washington DC. June 2007
Freer Sackler Teachers Program, Smithsonian Institute, Washington DC. August 2007
Mohamed Hamidullah Center, Jacksonville, FL. Lecture and two workshops. January 2008
Introducing Islamic Calligraphy at IAW week, University of Miami. Miami, FL, January 2008
Mary Washington College, Fredericksburg, VA. Lecture, March 2008
Penn State University, State College, PA. Lecture and workshop, April 2008
Yale University, New Haven, CT. Lecture. April 2008
University of Kansas MSA, Lawrence, KS. Lecture and workshop. April 2008
Middlesex High School, Concord, MA. Lecture and workshop, February 2009
Hunter College, New York, NY. Lecture and workshop, March 2009.
Stony Brook University MSA, Stony Brook, NY. Lecture, March 2009.
Trinity College, Hartford, CT. Islamic calligraphy workshop, March, 2009, 2010
Princeton University, Princeton, NJ, Muslim Life Program. The Spiritual Art of Islamic Calligraphy, lecture, April 20
University of Nebraska, Omaha. Lecture and workshop on Arabic Script Calligraphy, April, 2009.
Zaytuna Institute, Berkeley, CA. Islamic calligraphy lecture and workshop, August, 2009.
Al-Bustan, Seeds of Peace, workshops for teachers and students in the Philadelphia School District, Spring, 2009.
Connecticut Valley Calligraphers Guild, Slide lecture on Khatt, November 2009.
Swarthmore College, Slide lecture and workshop on Islamic Calligraphy, November 2009, February 2011.
Gettysburg College, Gettysburg, PA. Workshops for Arabic Language classes, March, 2011, 2014.
Columbia University, New York, NY. Lecture on Islamic Art and Science with Dr. George Saliba. November 2013.
Alwan for the Arts, NYC, “Thuluth, Letter by Letter” class, 2014.
Metropolitan Museum of Art, NYC, Love Poetry Family Event, 2014
Discovering Islamic Art, Calligraphy Classes, Princeton, NJ, summer 2014
Zimmerli Museum, Rutgers University, Calligraphy Demonstration, New Brunswick, NJ, Fall 2014
Free-lance lettering artist, 1992-present
- Event work (envelopes, place cards, escort cards, etc.)
- Design and lettering of diplomas, certificates and citations
- Artistic rendering of poetry (English and Arabic)
- Logos (English and Arabic)
- Gravestone lettering (English and Arabic)
- Marriage certificates (English and Arabic)
- Creative maps, signage (English and Arabic)
- Lettering for advertising (English and Arabic)
- Clients include Clinton Global Initiative, Hermes of Paris, Lippincott Mercer, Muslim Voices, The US Department of State, HBO.
Students and Faculty exhibits, Rockland Center for the Arts, 1993-1997
Muslim Women Artists Exhibit, St. John’s University, 2000
Solo Exhibit, Valley Cottage Library, 2000
Faculty of Arts Workshops Exhibit, Newark Museum, 2002
Society of Scribes Member’s Exhibits, Donnell Library, 1995, 1997, 2004
Faculty Exhibit, Confluence Conference, St. Louis, MI, 2004
Faculty Exhibit, Long Island University, Starting September, 2005
The Lichtenstein Center for the Arts, Pittsfield, MA. Participant in the exhibit: In The Realm of Rumi. November 2007–January 2008
Tenafly Library, Tenafly NJ, November, 2007
Solo Exhibit, Lincoln Land Community College, Springfield, IL. Jan–Feb 2008
“East Meets West,” solo exhibition, Lafayette College, Easton, PA. Mar–May 2008
“Typograffica”, Philoctetes Center for the Studay of Imangination, 2009
Society Members' Exhibition at the National Arts Club, 2008, 2009, 2010
“Three Faiths”, Exhibition at New York Public Library, 2010
King Fahd Glorious Quran Printing Complex Forum for World Renowned Quran Calligraphers, Madina, KSA, May 2011
Algerian Ministry of Culture Festival of Arabic Calligraphy Exhibition, Algiers, 2012
Kuwait Islamic Arts Center Calligraphy Exhibition, Kuwait, 2013-4
Sharjah Calligraphy Biennial Exhibit, UAE, spring 2014
#occupycommonground, St. Paul’s Church, New York City, fall 2014
- “Alphabetics: East to West”, Initiated and curated a multicultural calligraphy exhibit with the works of over 30 calligraphers from NY to Japan, Pratt Institute, September 1993
- “Printing Peace,” Alphabet, Volume 30, Number 1, Autumn 2004
- “Imitation in Art and Life: The Art of Islamic Calligraphy”, Lilipoh, Issue 43, Vol. II, Spring 2006
- “Wissam Shawkat”, Letter Arts Review, Volume 25, Number 3, Summer 2011
- “Anatomy of the Hilya”, Letter Arts Review, Volume 26, Number 3, Summer 2012
- “Sabah Arbilli”, Letter Arts Review, Volume 28, Number 4, Winter 2014
- The Book of Sufi Healing, Hakim Moinuddin, Inner Traditions, 1991
- Meeting the Buddha: On Pilgrimage in Buddhist India, Decorative Maps, Riverhead Books, 1995
- Book Cover Windows of Faith, Gisele Webb, Syracuse Universtiy Press, 2000
- Book Cover, Believing Women in Islam, Asma Barlas, University of Texas, 2002
- Fellowship Magazine, Cover Art, May/June issue, 2003
- Tricycle Magazine, Map of Lumbini-Kapilavastu, Spring 2005
- Arabic Calligraphy Demonstrator, Mahrahan al Fan, Brooklyn Museum.1994
- Sackler Gallery of the Smithsonian Institution. Demonstration of Islamic Calligraphy. Spring, 1995
- RocklandFest– Sacred Arts and Traditions of Rockland County. July, 1996 and July 2006
- Artist in Residence. Pomona Cultural Center, Pomona, NY. 1999
- Artist in Residence. Florida Atlantic University, Jupiter, FL, March, 2006
- Children's Africana Book Awards Ceremony, Metropolitan Museum of Art, NYC. 2007
- Hudson Valley Center for Contemporary Art, Panelist. July 29, 2007
- Sultan Qaboos Cultural Center, Washington, DC. Lecture/Workshops through the SQCC, at the following venues: Georgetown University, College of William and Mary, Middle East Institute, ImaginAsia Program at the Sackler Gallery of the Smithsonian Institution. November, 2007.
- Helvetica: Typography and Literacy, Panelist for Round Table Discussion, Philoctetes Center for the Study of Imagination, NY, NY, January 2009.
- CAMP Conference, May 2009. Panelist for “Civil Society: Art as a Cultural Lense”
- Carlos Museum, Emory University, Atlanta, GA. Artist in Residence with “Writing the Word of God” and “Traces of Calligraphy” exhibits, November, 2010.
- Rubin Museum, Lunch Matters Panel, Three Faiths: Illuminating with Calligraphy, NY, NY, May 2012.
- Conservation Consultation, Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, NY. Consultation and rendering Arabic script on an educational reconstruction panel of the Nur al-Din Room to demonstrate the steps involved in the manufacturing of the original surface decoration. March 2009.
- Thesis Advisor for MFA Student at the University of Baltimore. Advised Elisabeth Kvernen in her research for content for the “Calligraphy Qalam” (http://calligraphyqalam.com) website. 2008-2009.
- New York Public Library “Three Faiths” Exhibition and Scriptorium. Consulted the curator of the scriptorium.
- NY Society of Scribes 1989 – present (Board Member 1997 – 1999)
- Washington Calligraphers Guild
- International Association of Master Penmen, Engrossers and Teachers of Handwriting (IAMPETH)
- Historians of Islamic Art Association